Well it’s a new year and that means it’s time for some new tunes.
This month we have some new tracks and a couple of Summer ones I’ve just found. It’s also a much more culturally diverse selection given my recent jaunt back to the motherland. So bear with me and even if you can’t understand the lyrics, hopefully you’ll find the beats interesting.
Way Yes – Gino
Michel Telo – Ai Se Eu Te Pego
Hood Internet – More Fun
Klepht – Sim
Haim – Forever
Ellie Goulding – Only You
Cvrches – Lies
Skrillex – Bangarang
Palma Violets – Best of Friends
The Shins – Simple Song
It’s the 6th month of 2011 and that means the 6th installment of my monthly playlist. They include some new stuff, some old stuff and some covers. Enjoy! And remember, the titles link to MP3 downloads (where available)
- Seu Jorge – Life on Mars – I love Seu Jorge. He has an amazing voice and the Bowie covers he did for ‘The Life Aquatic’ film. Bowie said of these covers “Had Seu Jorge not recorded my songs in Portuguese I would never have heard this new level of beauty which he has imbued them with.”
- Silence4 – A little respect – This is a cover of Erasure’s song by a Portuguese band. I quite like the acoustic treatment they’ve give it and it was a big hit in the early 2000’s
- Gomez – Rhythm and Blues Alibi – these guys originally came to my attention back in 99/00 when I went to the V Festival. For some reason I’d always thought they were a dancy band (purely from their name) but I saw them on one of the smaller stages and loved their music and performance – they were a great live band
- Tupac – Changes – Excellent sampling on this track, which Tupac always did well. But it’s the lyrics that I really like. Powerful stuff. Made all the more powerful as I remember this being a big hit shortly after he was killed.
- Jason Mraz – I’m Yours – another summer-y song since as the weather is hot. One I definitely ‘murder’ when I’m in the car on my own.
- N.E.R.D – Everyone nose – Pharell is one of the coolest guys and producers around. He has so many good tracks from NERD, Neptunes and with others. I chose this one as it’s quite a bouncy party track.
- Young the Giant – My body – I first heard these guys on the Jools Holland show and they have been building some momentum on music scene. This is my favourite track from their album. The drums on it are really cool and it is very much a sing-along track at any gig.
- Eros Ramazzotti – Se bastasse una canzone – this is one of the songs I remember hearing for the first trip on a summer trip to Nice in France. Great song and he made some great albums up until the mid-90s but I then lost track. This summer reminded me of that summer in France.
- Florent Pagny – Ca fait des nuits – this is the other song of that summer. This proved tricky to find and I couldn’t find the original video. I guess French music is not that big.
This month I discovered two great sites for getting your hands in some FREE & LEGAL new music – thedownplayer and myspoonful. I recommend checking it our, some great little gems in them.
But that’s enough chit chat, let’s get down to the bees-wax that is this month’s playlist. Again, lots of music to choose from, but these are the ones that have regularly been filling my ears on the drive home. Enjoy!
- Adele – Someone like you – beautiful and heart-breaking song
- Phoenix Foundation – Bitte Bitte – one of the bands I discovered from the above sites. Has a very summery feel
- Sound of Guns – Architects – raw power from these Northern lads
- Seu Jorge & Ana Caroline – E isso ai – you may recognise the tune
- Best Coast – Boyfriend – another of the bands I found from thedownplayer. Remind me of The Breeders.
- Yeasayer – I remember – these guys are on fire in terms of music, Odd Blood is a majestic album
- Radiohead – Lotus Flower – not too sure about the dancing but with the release of their new album, Radiohead had to be here
- The Cribs – You’re gonna lose us – besides Ryan Jarman being one of the funniest rock stars, this is a great song that deserved more airplay.
- Maxwell – Ascension – an amazing voice that deserve bigger fame that it got
- Theophilus London – Humdrum Town – how can you not with an awesome name like that? The song is brilliant too – I’m going to be checking out the rest of his stuff